Files Transfer, But Not Their Metadata?

General purpose for any issue about Leawo iTransfer
John Bertram
antispam: No
The middle number please: 6

Files Transfer, But Not Their Metadata?

Post by John Bertram »

Not sure if this is a forum question or a tech support one, but would welcome any insight...

Just did my first tests of this iTransfer app (using the trial demo). Transferred several video recordings from my iPhone 6 to my MacBook Pro. In the iTransfer window (where I selected which videos to copy) it showed the correct dates for when each video was recorded. But the transferred copies seemed to lose this critical metadata, and everything (the Creation Date, Last Opened Date, and last Modified Date) had all been changed to the exact day & time of when the file was transferred. This CAN'T be right -- can it? Retaining each file's metadata as to when the video was actually recorded is CRUCIAL and ESSENTIAL (for later organizing and editing when the material is being combined with video from other sources). Why is this happening? I checked all options and Preferences and can't see how to correct this, but there must be a way. What matters is when an image or a video was captured, not when it happened to get copied to a different volume. (And if the program does this to every file it transfers -- resetting the Creation Date metadata to whenever the transfer happens -- then this potentially helpful software is all but useless.) Any advice greatly appreciated -- thank you.
leakeymore

Re: Files Transfer, But Not Their Metadata?

Post by leakeymore »

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Leawo forum.

There is the "bug" of Leawo iTransfer, but actually it is not a bug since the metadata should be record with the current system time, hope you can understand.
And we will certainly take it into consideration for future upgrades. Thank you for your suggestion and feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
John Bertram
antispam: No
The middle number please: 6

Post by John Bertram »

I would argue that this IS in fact a "bug" -- or at least a very serious design flaw -- since completely deleting the original Creation Date of the file being copied, means that the file is NOT simply being copied, but instead is being Modified.

The date on which a video file (for example) happened to get copied to a different volume (for backup, alternate storage, or whatever reason) is generally not very important; the date the video was actually recorded -- if doing ANY serious work (editing, archiving, organizing, whatever) -- is frequently VERY important information, and often critical.
leakeymore

Post by leakeymore »

Hi John,

Thank you for the explaination.

I'll forward the advice to the related departments for later development, thank you for the feedback again.

Regards,